About Us - Principal Collaborators
Italicized links go off this site, and will open in a new window.
Ms. Smiley is a creative technologist with broad and deep global experience in the full development lifecycle for multi-platform hardware-software systems. She currently leads global agile teams that architect and prototype advanced industrial
and toolsets to discover and integrate new technical knowledge in software product lines, encompassing system and service offerings. Karen is an accomplished mentor, teacher, author, manager, coach, architect, and data scientist who is always looking for opportunities to use technology and data for good. She still enjoys creating software, analyzing data, and above all, meeting challenges and solving problems. Karen holds six US patents (to date) for software technology innovations, and has authored or co-authored
over 40 academic and industrial publications.
Here are some highlights of Karen's recent accomplishments and contributions:
Invited panelist at the upcoming IEEE
(International Transportation Electrification Conference), Industry Panel on Women In Engineering
Lead author of a forthcoming article on
"Managing Asset Performance with Connected Analytics for Solar", to appear in a Special Issue of
on simulation and digital twins.
Awarded one new US patent in 2018: #10,074,402 (Recording and providing for display images of events associated with power equipment)
- Lead author of a 2018 INCOSE
Insight journal article on "Overcoming the Challenges of Agile for Globally Distributed Industrial Research"
- Lead author of article in USCRC 2017 Technical Review on "Industrial Analytics for Solar Inverters and Plants"
- Awarded two new US patents in 2017: #9,547,695 (Industrial Asset Event Chronology) and #9,418,183 (Model Development Environment for Assisting User in Developing Model Describing Condition of Industrial Asset)
- Technical Program Committee member for
(International Conference on Software Architecture)
- Contributed to the Software Engineering In Practice (SEIP) track of ICSE 2018 as a member of the Program Committee
- Contributing author to MESA White Paper #57: Asset Performance Management (APM) 2.0 - Guidelines for Goal Setting & Implementation Planning (the Reader's Choice for Dec. 2017!)
- Program Committee member for the
and 2019 RCoSE/DDrEE,
Rapid Continuous Software Engineering International Workshops
- Program Committee member for
ICSE 2016 CSED (Continuous Software Evolution and Delivery), and lead author on "From Ideas to Implementations: Closing the Gaps between Technical Experts and Software Solutions", presented by co-author Pankesh Patel
- Active contributor through 2016 in MESA
Asset Performance Management 2.0 Working Group and
XML Committee on
- Lead author and presenter at SPLC 2015 on "Evolving an Industrial Analytics Product Line Architecture"
- Lead author of 2014Q1 ABB Review article,
"Picture of health" on industrial analytics and asset health management
- Lead author of WICSA 2014 paper, "A Dynamic Software Product Line Architecture for Prepackaged Expert Analytics"
- Co-author on SEKE 2012 paper, "Forecasting Fault Events in Power Distribution Grids Using Machine Learning"
- Building my networks and knowledge on ResearchGate and Academia.edu,
and a shareable reference library on Mendeley
For more information, see Karen Smiley's LinkedIn profile. You may message Karen there; contact Karen on twitter or ResearchGate; connect to Agile Teams on Facebook; or email her at firstname at agileteams dot com.